This post is a little different to what I normally write.
Every country wants to create its own answer to Silicon Valley – an amazingly small area of America in which is the source of much of the world’s creative technology.
Desirable Apps and The Apps Nursery thinks we have found a place which has the potential to be Australia’s Silicon Valley – Australia’s Fraser Coast.
The advantages of developing iPhone apps and Android apps on the Fraser Coast are:
- A beach – anywhere which wants to attract talent has to have an awesome amenity. The Fraser Coast has one of the best beaches in Australia.
- Year round warm weather – “winter” here is a few cold weeks in July.
- A major University. The locals worry that their children who attend University have to relocate to pursue their profession. A local technology hub could change all that.
- Affordable housing and business conference spaces – very important for startup business working on a shoestring
- Adequate internet infrastructure. OK, this could be better – but you can get a decent mobile internet signal on the esplanade, and home WIFI is good enough to have a Skype video chat.
- A terrific environment for children and young families – great schools, lots of parks, a safe, child friendly environment.
- Excellent transport links to the rest of Australia, thanks to the Fraser Coast’s existing tourist industry.
The Fraser Coast, as far as we can tell, has all the essential ingredients to be a world class technology hub. The one thing missing is the spark – the belief that it can be done. We are hoping Desirable Apps can change all that.
Fraser Coast Opportunities created a write up of our business recently, in which we mentioned our vision of the potential of the Fraser Coast. Hopefully this is an idea which will take root and flourish.